Thursday, January 19, 2012

I need to know step by step on hoe to set the timing on my mopar stroker please help?

73 duster with a 408 stroker motor, dyno'd at 551 from previous owner. I did some more work and went brain dead on hoe to set in ital timimg. please run me step by step how to just set timing and adjust my barry grant carb? please and thxI need to know step by step on hoe to set the timing on my mopar stroker please help?
You bought a race car without knowing how to do basic work on it? Wow.



I'm not a very good verbal teacher, so please bear with me. I'm usually the type to show people how to do things.



The first thing to do is loosen the distributor retainer. There is a for shaped bracket that bolts into the block, and snugs down onto the base of the distributor. Bring the motor up to operating temperature, and plug the vacuum advance line going into the carb. Very carefully twist the distributor either way, but only barely. The engine should change in the way it runs. Don't worry about getting a timing light on it, because you don't need to adjust it to stock specifications, since it's a performance motor. It sounds like you're working with a small block, so turning it clockwise will retard the timing, and counterclockwise will advance the timing. Big blocks are opposite. With the vacuum advanced plug, get the engine idling the best you possibly can. At this point you can adjust your carb. I've never worked with a Barry Grant carb before, but you can probably get a tuning manual from the manufacturer's website. Or better yet, you could put an Edelbrock on it. :)



Put the vacuum advance back on before doing any carb tuning. Once you have the carb tuned, adjust your timing again, and then keep alternating tuning your carb and adjuting your timing until you have the vehicle running the best you can get it.



If it helps, the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, going clockwise.



Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment